TIME FOR THROWDOWN THURSDAY WITH OUR FRIENDS AT THE FIREFIGHTER THROWDOWN, WHEN WE FEATURE HEALTHY RECIPES FOR THE FIREHOUSE. THIS RECIPE FOR POTATO CASSEROLE IS FROM EWA OF 555 FITNESS. THIS DISH PROVES THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO SACRIFICE FLAVOR FOR NUTRITION. SUBSTITUTING HEALTHIER INGREDIENTS RESULTS IN A NUTRITIOUS AND DELICIOUS MEAL THAT IS SURE TO SATISFY THE CREW.
LOADED SWEET PO-TATOR TOT CASSEROLE
1 PACKAGE OF ALEXIA SWEET POTATO PUFFS/TATOR TOTS
2-3 TBSP DINOSAUR BBQ CAJUN FOREPLAY (OR YOUR FAVORITE SPICE RUB)
3/4 CUP FAT FREE CHEDDAR CHEESE
1/4 LB 99% GROUND TURKEY, BROWNED
3-4 PIECES OF COOKED BACON, CHOPPED (45% LOWER SODIUM, 33% LESS FAT)
**serves 2 safely.... but why not make extra to have as dessert, or add a fried egg and eat again for breakfast
1. Preheat Oven and once heated, place frozen tator tots in according to directions. I added the Cajun Foreplay Rub into the package, shook it around to coat the tots and then placed the tator tots on a baking sheet (***remove these with a several minutes left so you can place them back in to finish cooking later without burning them or making them too crispy)
2. Fry Bacon in Cast Iron Skillet (or your favorite pan). Drain excess fat but leave a little in the bottom of the skillet to place the tator tots in. Set bacon aside
3. Brown Ground Turkey and drain excess liquid/fat.
4. Once everything is cooked, placed the tator tots in the skillet, add the turkey, cheese, and top with bacon pieces. Place back in oven to finish melting/browning.
5. Remove, LET COOL (unless you like HOT cheesy lava sticking to the roof of your mouth while simultaneously incinerating your tongue's taste buds and placing them OOS so you can't enjoy your dinner), and ENJOY!!! If you'd like, you can also add Meat Hot Sauce, Frank's Red Hot, Sour Cream, Salsa or Scallions.
The entire skillet/dinner (as written) is 1,039 calories with 35 g of Fat, 100g Carb and 81g Protein