TIME TO THROW DOWN A HEARTY RECIPE WITH OUR FRIENDS FROM THE FIREFIGHTER THROWDOWN ! WITH THE WEATHER STARTING TO COOL DOWN, THE FIREHOUSE STARTS TO FILL WITH THE SMELL OF STEWS, CHILIS AND .........GUMBO! THIS RECIPE FROM KELLY KAHLE OF THE ST. PETERSBURG FIRE AND RESCUE IN FLORIDA IS PERFECT FOR A CROWD. THAT IS OF COURSE IF 16 IS A CROWD FOR YOU, IF NOT JUST SCALE IT DOWN. EITHER WAY YOU NEED TO TRY THIS OUT THE NEXT TIME YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A FILLING HEALTHY MEAL PACKED WITH PROTEIN, CARBS AND FAT!
STATION 4'S JUMBO GUMBO
Servings: firehouse 16
1/2 CUP OLIVE OIL/COCONUT OIL
1/4 CUP BACON FAT, leftover from breakfast (optional)
5 CUPS LOW-SODIUM CHICKEN BROTH
1 CUP ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
4 BELL PEPPERS
2 LARGE ONIONS
8 CELERY STALKS
1/4 CUP CHOPPED GARLIC
1 CUP DRY WHITE WINE
2-28oz. CANS OF DICED TOMATOES WITH JUICE
4 LBS. ANDOUILLE CHICKEN SAUSAGE, pre-cooked
8 CHICKEN THIGHS (previously cooked and shredded)
1 LB. PEELED AND DEVEINED SHRIMP
1 PACKAGE FROZEN OKRA
3 BAY LEAVES
ZATARANS creole seasoning (to taste) I used about 1/8-1/4 cup for whole recipe at different stages
2 TBSP. GROUND THYME
1 TBSP. CAYENNE PEPPER
3 CUPS WHITE RICE
2 CUPS BROWN RICE
This is all about the prep. It's easier to cut, chop, and prep all veggies a little while before you begin.
1. First, season the chicken thighs with some of the creole seasoning. Bake at 350f for 45 minutes. Let cool. Then discard skin and shred the meat. Stick in the fridge until later.
2. Chop and remove seeds from peppers. Also, chop onions and celery and you can store those all together.
3. Chop andouille sausage into chunks
4. Chop tails off shrimp and cut into thirds.
5. Heat 12-13 qt pan to medium-high heat. Add oil, 1 cup of the low sodium chicken broth, and bacon fat until very hot. Then slowly add all purpose flour. Whisk fast and non-stop. If you don't it will burn.
6. Once it is a dark brown color, add in celery, peppers, and onions stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes.
(At this time, make sure your rice is starting to cook. That usually takes 20-30 minutes)
7. Add some garlic in at this time just to get the flavors rolling and a pinch of cayenne.
8. Then add wine, bay leaves, and thyme and bring to a light simmer.
9. At this time, add tomatoes with all the juices, remaining 4 cups ls chicken broth, chicken, and sausage. Stir frequently. Add some more of the creole seasoning. About 10 min
10. Add frozen okra and stir for another 15 min.
11. At the end, add the shrimp. This will only take about 5 minutes.
12. Taste and see if any extra seasoning needs to be added.
13. Remove bay leaves and enjoy!!!
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE FIREFIGHTER THROWDOWN, CLICKHERE !
DONT FORGET TO TAG US IN YOUR PICS @FORKANDHOSECO AND HASHTAG US #FORKANDHOSECO. IF YOU HAVE A RECIPE YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A FEATURE, EMAIL YOUR NAME, DEPARTMENT, HIGH QUALITY PHOTO AND RECIPE TO FORKANDHOSECO@GMAIL.COM
STAY SAFE, EAT WELL!